Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I froze for almost 2 hours for 10 minutes of work...

0214_spo_CHSvsWylieSoccer1
Last week I shot a soccer game that I spent most of the time standing around freezing waiting for a decent shot to happen. Soccer has never been one of those sports I've jumped to go cover. I know it's the most popular sport in the world, but in Texas it's playing in the winter, and the crowds are, well, pathetic. This game, however, may have been an exception. Wylie was playing Cooper, and Wylie's fans always come out in decent numbers. So, when I got to the game Wylie was dominating the field position, but wasn't able to score. I spent most of the half on Wylie's side of the field waiting for a goal. One finally came, Wylie scored and was still keeping the ball on their side of the field. It was really cold there and I had thought about leaving but I needed to get a Wylie roster, so I stayed and am glad that I did.
0214_spo_CHSvsWylieSoccer3
With 17 seconds, Cooper scored a goal to tie the game. My only thought was "damn they're going to play an overtime period." Luckily they had a shootout instead. I knew I had a few decent shots if I wanted to leave, but that's just not how I work. I think this is all my dad's fault. He instilled this work effort in me that just won't let me cut corners or do things half-assed. So stuck around for the 15 minutes that the shoot out was going to take. All three of these photos were from the shootout, which makes me glad that I stayed. As I was leaving I was thinking to myself I just spent 2 hours shooting a game and all my best shots were from the last 10 minutes. I wasn't sure whether to be mad or not... I'm just glad I stayed the extra few minutes instead of leaving early when I just had "something." Thanks Dad!
0214_spo_CHSvsWylieSoccer2

No comments: