Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A roller girl and her horse....

0322_loc_AJRA1
This is something I found this weekend. I was walking around the Taylor County Expo Center looking for features for a story about the American Junior Rodeo event that was in town for the weekend. I was actually looking for two photos, one for news, one for sports. The one for sports wouldn't be all that hard, just needed a nice action shot. Those are easy enough to find, just go to the right event. But, for news I needed something more featurey than action. So, I was walking around the horse stalls looking for whatever I could find, kids preparing their horses, saddling them, whatever I came across. That's when I saw this little kids walking (at least that's what it looked like from a far) across the parking lot. She had a sweatshirt on an her hat pulled down low on her head , but something about it looked funny. When she got closer I figured it out... she was wearing roller skates. Score! I grabbed a few shots as she rolled by me. After talking to her and her mom it was kind of funny. They told me they were from Junction, and lived out in the country and didn't have paved roads near their home so whenever she is near the pavement, often at rodeos, she pretty much has her roller skates glued to her feet when she's not competing. Well, that was easy, I knew I had my feature shot!
0322Rodeo3

No comments: