Saturday, July 2, 2011

These are Tough Roller Girls...

0626_ABLO_DerbyDames1
Earlier this year Abilene started it's own roller derby team. I actually covered their first bout, but having to cover a (really bad) indoor football game I wasn't able to spend much time covering the game. And, the last bout that they had sadly happened on a weekend that I was in Austin for Hell Week. So, finally I was going to get to cover the Derby Dames. Well, not quite as long as I'd have liked to. Comedian Jeff Dunham and his muppets were in town for a show. Luckily, he wasn't going on until 9p.m. So, at least I had a little time to shoot the roller derby for a while.
0626_ABLO_DerbyDames2
Since I was pressed for time I didn't have a whole lot of time to shoot from many different place and work the room like I normally would. So, I shot right on one of the turns with a nice dark background. There were a few nice collisions and pile ups. The Abilene team was winning it pretty good so I didn't feel too bad about leaving, but hopefully next time I'll be able to go and shoot the whole thing and get some nicer stuff.
0626_ABLO_DerbyDames3

0626_ABLO_DerbyDames4

No comments: