Sunday, July 27, 2008

The face of courage through adversity

0723_loc_4HDrillTeam1
I don't deal with death well, I don't like it, I don't like dealing with it in my personal life and I certainly have never liked to cover it. This is Russell McPherson, he was in town for the Texas State 4-H Horse Show. He was competing in probably the marquee event of the week, the drill team competition, with Liberty County the defending champs in the event.

On Sunday, McPherson's parents, who accompanied him here for the event, were killed while riding their motorcycle. I'm pretty sure if something like that happened to me I'd probably shut down and go home and mourn at the very least. But Russell held his head high and competed in the drill team competition "like his mother would have wanted." And, then he went out and executed his routine about as close to perfect as you could have asked! Only two days after losing both parents. I'm not sure I could do something like that now, let alone when I was a senior in high school.

I can't imagine what this kid had to go through, but I know it isn't good. But I have a lot of respect for him considering what he went through and what he did, both in honor of his parents while still keeping his promise to his team, who I'm sure would have been ok with him pulling out of his performance.
0723_loc_4HDrillTeam2

No comments: