Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tour de Gap

0727_<span class=
Even after nine years, there are some assignments I look forward to shooting every year. The Tour de Gap bike race is one of them. While the early morning start isn't something I enjoy, the early morning light makes for some nice shots at the starting line.
0727<span class=
But, just shooting the start just wouldn't be right, the 70-mile race which attracts not only some really top-notch locals and amateur riders from across the state - even the occasional pro riders - lasts about three hours. Fortunately I get to drive the course in a car, bobbing ahead and shooting as the riders pass by, then back in the car and bobbing ahead again, over and over. The only problem is the race is not a closed course. It can make for some interesting moments on those little two-lane back roads. Luckily, they aren't heavily travelled.
0727<span class=
That's plenty of time to get photos of the race and have fun and trying out all the lenses in my bag. Although, I gotta say, laying in tall grass with a wide angle lens in the middle of July during prime rattlesnake season isn't the best idea I've ever had, it made for a nice photo and luckily I didn't hear anything resembling a baby rattle during the couple minutes I was there... so that was a good thing.
0727<span class=
And, when you are shooting the whole 70 miles of the race and get lucky enough to get the eventual race winner munching on a banana... well, that's just a bonus that justifies getting up early and going the extra (70 or so) miles.
0727_<span class=

1 comment:

Robyn said...

the banana shot is great. I can't believe it was the winner- that NEVER happens! I'm enjoying reading your blog and seeing you photos!
-Robyn