Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ropin the Wind(mills)...

1009_loc_RopePartner1
Last week I got a call from one of my reporters telling me that we needed to meet a couple of guys who work on wind turbines at 7am about 30 minutes south of town. I wasn't totally sure about what they were going to be doing, I didn't get that far into it, it was my day off and I figured I'd find out when I got there. The only other time I'd done a story about the maintenance workers I had to climb up with them. It's a really amazing view from the top of the wind turbines but the climb is a 250+ foot ladder that goes straight up. Needless to say it, you're sore the next day. The last time I did it, I was hurting for 3 day afterward! Luckily, when I got there this time I found out these guys did all their work hanging from the wind turbine, most of it is repairing fiberglass. So I didn't have to climb, I could shoot all my photos from the ground. On this one they were fixing lightning damage done to one of the blades. It seems like a really cool job and made for some really nice photos. I am glad I had my 400mm lens with me though, it made some nice photos of them while they were rappelling down the turbine to the damaged blade.
1009_loc_RopePartner2

1009PhotoColumn0142

1010RopePartners0101

1009_loc_RopePartner3

1009PhotoColumn0229

1010RopePartners0012

1009_loc_RopePartner4

1009_loc_RopePartner6

1009_loc_RopePartner5

1010RopePartners0026

No comments: