Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hell Week, Day 1...

0510_ABSP_UIL_GolfLEDE
One of our reporters came up with the name, at the start of the week every year I don't think too much of it. Heck, I usually look forward to it. This year though, I had already been in Austin since Thursday for another assignment. So, with having four days in Austin under my belt already it was both good and bad. The bad being the obvious, four days already away from home (plus the two days at the start of the week in Lubbock). The good, however, was I didn't have to get up at 3:30am and make a four hour drive before even starting to work. So at least I had that going for me.
0510_ABSP_UIL_Golf_PhotoPage1
I pretty much mapped out how I would go about shooting, starting with the Class A golf, since we have the largest number of participants, it also made it so I could hit the next course on the way to tennis, which was basically on the other side of city in Lakeway, more than 30 miles from golf. The only saving grace about that was Lakeway is NEVER on time. The second round matches are always scheduled to start around 2pm, and in the years I have been covering the state tennis tournament there "only" being 2-3 hours late is the norm and has come to be expected, not to mention the people running the place are a bunch of pretentious snobs who would you the tournament just not be there in the first place. At least that's they way they make you feel while you're there... unwelcome. OK, Lakeway rant over. At least knowing this I was able to use it to my advantage and was able to spend plenty of time at golf, shooting the whole round there, and still make it out to shoot all of the second round tennis matches.
0510_ABSP_GolfTennis0568

0510_ABSP_GolfTennis0584

0510_ABSP_UIL_Golf_PhotoPage2

0510_ABSP_UIL_Tennis_PhotoPage3

0510_ABSP_GolfTennis0550

0510_ABSP_UIL_Tennis_PhotoPage1

0510_ABSP_GolfTennis0552

0510_ABSP_GolfTennis0554

0510_ABSP_GolfTennis0558

0510_ABSP_GolfTennis0580

No comments: