Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hell Week, Day 2...

0510_ABSP_StateGolf1
So, day two always seems to be a little easier, well at least shorter than Monday is. Mostly because tennis is only one round. So, I pretty much reversed my schedule from the day before. Going to Lakeway first to shoot the championship tennis matches. We had four different tennis players and doubles teams in championship matches. It made for some really nice photos, however, I'm guessing the two teams that did win had expected to win since there wasn't a whole lot of celebration. The plan after that would be to shoot 2A golf, hopefully quickly, then heading out to 1A golf since we would most likely have two team state champions and two individual champs.
0510_ABSP_StateGolfTennisDay2_0321
By the time I got to Roy Kizer Golf Course (which by the way may be the ugliest golf course on the planet) where the 2A tournament was being played I had to rush to the furthest part of the course. Luckily, Jim Ned golfer Ben Avery wears a very distinct hat and I was able to spot him from half way across the golf course. I hate having to rush, I usually end up with mediocre shots from that since I'm just trying to get quick photos and move on. I followed him two holes and was lucky enough to get a ride to the other side of the course. I grabbed a few shots of the girls on the last three holes as I was pretty much walking off the course and raced across town to the other golf course.
0510_ABSP_StateTennis6
Here's where the problems come in. I look out on the course where the boys were supposed to be coming in and it was empty. SH!T! I quickly get to the girls green, there is Baird golfer Alex Neal putting. Then a crowd of Baird fans cheering. Damn, I missed her too. I knew I needed to get SOMETHING, so I go into semi-panic mode. I follow the Baird girls around. Luckily the scores haven't been posted yet. I pretty much trained my camera on the five Lady Bears golfers. I wasn't sure if I'd get anything, but when I heard them start talking about playing their final round of high school golf ever I knew there would be emotion soon. And when the score was posted, despite what pretty much everyone was expecting, there were some surprised looks as well as genuine happy emotions. And, after the rather disappointing tennis celebrations, this worked out really well. And, as a bonus, when they did the medal ceremony I got a nice shot of the Robert Lee boys going to get there medals too. I still hate that I wasn't able to get to shoot some of the action in time, but was still glad to have gotten something.
0510_ABSP_StateGolf4

0510_ABSP_StateGolfTennisDay2_0367

0510_ABSP_StateGolfTennisDay2_0579

0510_ABSP_StateTennis4

0510_ABSP_StateGolf2

0510_ABSP_StateTennis1

0510_ABSP_StateGolf5

No comments: