Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Getting in that Christmas Spirit...

1226_loc_VeteranXmas
The other day I met Jack Terzian and his wife of 64 years, Marty. The story was about Jack, a WWII veteran who's plane was shot down around Christmas time. These were two of the nicest people I have photographed in a long time. I shot this photo of them on Christmas Eve, the story was running on the day after Christmas, and I didn't want to bother them on Christmas day. So, I set it up for the afternoon of Christmas Eve. From the moment I walked into their home I was greeted with a big smile from Marty and a handshake from Jack.

After talking to them for a few minutes and a few questions I grabbed my lights and set up one light with a big softbox. Jack was a former photographer so he was really interested in my gear. It was fun talking to someone who spent most of his time shooting 4x5's compared to my digital gear. After I got my light set up I told them I wanted a couple shots of them with Jack holding a photo of him with his plane, a P-47 Thunderbolt, that he named after his sweetheart... Marty. I grabbed a few test shots checking my light then I took a couple others. The first couple weren't too bad, but I know from experience after a few shots to break the ice people often will let their guard down and let their true personality shine through. And it turned out great, as I was talking to them Marty let out a great and and Jack had a nice grin looking at them that just really showed their wonderful personalities. After this shot, and looking at it in the back of my camera I knew I wouldn't get anything better than this.

These are the kind of assignments that make me realize just how lucky I am to do this job. I get to meet some really great people all the time, but it's people like the Terzians that I'm sent to shoot at just the right time. As I was walking out their door, for some reason, they made me really glad that it was Christmas.

No comments: