Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Word Nerd...

0526_loc_SpellingBee
I always find it ironic when I'm given the assignment to shoot the winner of the local spelling bee. Considering I can't spell worth a damn! The funny thing is, since I have pretty much become the portrait guy, I get this assignment nearly every year. And, since Scripps is the sponsor of the national spelling bee (my paper is a Scripps paper), it's not like we can't cover it. So, when I went to shoot our local spelling bee winner, I wasn't sure what to expect. It was actually really cool to how down to earth the kid was. She told me she doesn't really study the dictionary a lot, she just looks at the word orgins and some of the word list, but she doesn't study a whole lot. However, I think the best part of it was when she said she really just wanted the free trip to Washington DC and wouldn't be too dissapointed if she got knocked out early since it would give her more time to see the city. Ha! I think I would have felt the same way, not like I'd ever get to the national spelling bee. Thank God for spell check!

No comments: