Wednesday, January 5, 2011

No Shortage of TD's Here...

1212_spo_ThrockmortonvsGC1
If you're a fan of football and a lot of offense and you've never seen six-man football you are truly missing out. There are quite a few differences between it's 11-man cousin and I'm not going to claim to know all the differences. Nor, am I going to say I completely understand the game, because I don't. But I do know, it's pretty damn fun to watch. So, when it was announced that the two six-man state championship games were going to be played in Abilene it was kind of cool to hear.
1212_spo_ThrockmortonvsGC2
The first game was a pair of out-of-area teams and I had other assignments to shoot, so I got there late and only had to shoot a few crowd shots. The nightcap was the important game for us to shoot. And like most every six-man game I've ever shot there was no shortage of touchdowns. There was even a punt... something I'd never seen covering six-man football. Both teams game in with offenses that were regularly beating their opponents into submission. In fact, most of the games ended early. In six-man football the game ends at halftime if one team is up by 45 points or more, or after one team goes up by 45 or more the game ends. Throckmorton and Garden City were running over their opponents every week like that. Plus it was a rematch of last year's state semi-finals.
1212_spo_GCvsThrockmorton0333
Garden City came out pretty quick and Throckmorton had to play catch up in the game. And while they made some nice scores in the second half and made a decent effort to come back. Garden City just wasn't going to let up. In fact, Garden City scored on every possession except for two, and one of those was the final one while they were in the victory formation. All in all it was a fun game to watch and I made a shot I was happy with of Throckmorton's Michael Everett's Superman dive into the end zone for a touchdown, a nice way to end the football season.
1212_spo_GCvsThrockmorton0253

1212_spo_GCvsThrockmorton0053

1212_spo_ThrockmortonvsGC6

No comments: