Sunday, January 22, 2012

Friday Night Basketball...

0121_ABSP_WylieBball1
Over the years I have seen my share of good basketball players and good games. But to have two really great players going against each other in a really great game has been rare. So, Friday night Wylie was playing THESA, the two-time defending home school national champions. It was really cool to see two of the best womens basketball players in the country going head to head. Wylie's Peyton Little, a Texas A&M signee, and THESA's Moriah Jefferson, a UConn signee, and both played a really great game.
0121_ABSP_WylieBball3
Probably the best part was with both players on, it looked like their teammates were playing above their level too. That always make for a really fun game. When Wylie went down 12 in the second half I figured this game was going to get ugly. Then they started clawing their way back, playing good defense and taking good shots. They got back within two but just couldn't get over that last hump. It didn't hurt that both teams were getting the ball in the hands of their best players. Wylie ended up losing the game 62-60 but it was a good test for them. And, I don't always think looses are bad things. Winning too much tends to make for big heads. Close losses make you not want to lose again, plus in the district that Wylie is in, except for one team they are going to win pretty big and pretty easily so it's good to throw in a tough game during district play.
0121_ABSP_WylieBball0253
After the Wylie game I didn't have a whole lot of time, but I still had to run across town to shoot what was left of the Abilene High/Odessa High game. I got there in time to shoot the last 5 minutes of the second quarter, which as late as it was getting was going to be all I'd be able to shoot. The first couple minutes it was bad shots and turnovers and the few decent available shots were happening on the other side that I was on and I was blocked. I ended up getting a couple of decent shots in the last two minutes including the one below, which I liked.
0121_ABLO_AHSboysBball1

0121_ABSP_WylieBball2

0121_ABSP_WylieBball0159

No comments: