Saturday, January 28, 2012

Here's the Church, Here's the Steeple...

0125_ABLO_SteepleStandalone1
Every year, January seems to be a wasteland for stories, I think a lot of it has to do with the Christmas hangover. The papers in January are smaller and there just never seems to be a whole lot of news during the month. So, with the lack of news and even bigger lack of visual news, I seem to be doing a lot of feature cruising. So, on the days that an editor notices something that would make a nice standalone feature I jump at the chance. It was also nice that I had a pretty open afternoon and could hang out and work the scene for a while. I had even driven around the block trying to get this steeple and one down the street together, but the worker was on the wrong side of the steeple. However, as I was leaving I looked up through the tree and there was the opening in the branches after getting that shot, I liked it the best of what I had. And, as far as why they were working on the steeple in the first place, I went in and checked with the church office to have some cutline information. It turns out the steeple was damaged in the hailstorm that hit the city pretty hard last April and they were just now able to get roofers out available to repair it. I think half the roofs in the city got replaced from that storm.
0125_ABLO_SteepleStandalone2

No comments: