Friday, May 18, 2012

Rainy Day Abilene...

0511_ABLO_Weather1
Last year at this time a good chunk of the state was either in the midst of burning down or had already been scorched and there was absolutely no rain anywhere in sight, plus it was already hotter than hell. This year, we've been getting some nice rain. So much that the area has already gotten more rain in the first few months of the year than we had gotten all last year. Last Thursday was no different. There was a little bit of rain in the morning, but during the afternoon it poured. Getting nearly an inch of rain only meant one thing, the parade that was supposed to be on the front page got rained out and we needed to find a weather photo to replace it. I spent quite a while driving around looking for something and had a few really lame shots of cars driving through flooded intersections as safe shots. But nothing I was in love with. Finally, while I was driving by McMurry University I saw a bunch of people walking into Radford Auditorium in caps and gowns. I figured it was graduation practice. So, I spent about 20 minutes sitting in my car watching people trying to avoid the rain until I saw these two ladies huddling under one umbrella trying to stay dry. I was able to track them down, get names and find out it was a pinning ceremony for new nursing students. After that I was able to head back to the office happy (and soaked just from a 20 yard run from my car to the building).

No comments: