Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Two Games, Two Towns, Again, Game 1...

0226_ABSP_JNvsWall0802
As I was pulling into Lubbock, our sports editor sent me a text message asking if Jim Ned won their regional championship game if I'd be willing to drive down to Midland to shoot the regional championship game since it was at 1pm and Wylie's championship game would be at 8pm. So, I was on the road to Midland at 10am headed to game one of the day.
0226_ABSP_JNvsWall1
Jim Ned came out looking pretty good early, playing good defense and working their press really well. I think Wall slowing down the pace of the game helped Jim Ned out a lot. Wall seems to have lived and died by the three-point shot a lot this year and wasn't shooting real well this game. So, Wall's limiting of possessions was starting to hurt them.
0226_ABSP_JNvsWall0801
One thing I do love about the regional tournaments are they are played in bigger nicer arenas that have better light and basket on the ground and not hanging from the ceiling. The great part about that is that it allows me to set up a floor remote to shoot the game. Not only is it easy to set up, but setting it right next to the basket protects the camera and has the potential to make a pretty cool shot.
0226_ABSP_JNvsWall4
It wasn't a very high scoring game, but there was plenty of great action that made for a few decent images. Adding the remote made for some nice practice for the state tournament next week in Austin, but I didn't get anything fantastic. One thing about remotes is they can make some really cool shots, but I never rely on them, since they seem to be really hit or miss. And, the two-hour trip back to Lubbock and a great reporter who was willing to drive, gave me plenty of plenty of time to put together and post the slideshow for the web.
0226_ABSP_JNvsWall6

0226_ABSP_JNvsWall0297A

0226_ABSP_JNvsWall0178

No comments: