Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of...

0823_ABLO_FireConference1
I covered the area fire conference hosted by the Abilene Fire Department was last week. It's a good event that allows us to cover some of the area volunteer fire departments getting some training time. It's an event I've covered a couple of times before, but not for the last couple of years. So, it's nice to have an idea what I want to shoot and what is going to make the best photos going into the event.
0823_ABLO_FireConference2
When I got there I noticed there was an extra fire added. In the past they had done the house fires in the burn house and the propane fire, but last couple times I've been there, there wasn't a car fire. So, I ended up spending a little more time on it than I had planned. Mostly because it took longer for the fire to "cook" than it did for the firefighters to put it out (which was almost immediately after the hoses went on).
0823_ABLO_FireConference4
So, by the time I was heading over to shoot the propane fires the sun was setting fast. In the end I guess that was a good thing. As I was walking up a big wall of flames shot up framing the sun. I sat back and made a few frames of that. Then hung around a little after the sun went down. It helped knowing where to shoot from and having an idea of what I'd get going in, especially when shooting on a tight deadline.
0823_ABLO_FireConference3

No comments: