Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Up too early after a late night...

0913_spo_CrossCountryHiSchool
I've never been much of a morning person. So, there is nothing more miserable than after working till 3am on a Friday night covering football and going back to the office and building a slideshow gallery after the game to have to shoot an assignment at 8am. I think I was working on about 3 hours of sleep for this one, but it turned out a lot better than I expected. Cross country is a sport we seldom covered in the past. My personal feeling is it should be called conditioning, or more appropriately torture.
One good thing about this, was that I did find what I didn't see the night before at the football game, mud. The course had a stream running through it, that normally wouldn't be there, but since it rained there was quite a bit of runoff water running into the lake that wouldn't normally be there. I only had time to shoot two of the races before going to another assignment. When I found the spot during the first race, the group had already spread out and were on the last lap. The best shot I got from it was three guys going through the creek. So, for the high school boys race I waited there at the start of the race. The creek was only about 500 yards from the start and the lane was pretty narrow so it made the group look big. I liked it the best and the ropes made a nice line. The only thing that would have made a better shot would have been someone slipping in the mud. There were a few close calls but, sadly, no dice.
0913_spo_CrossCountryCollege2

No comments: